HHP/helping hand partners is a non-profit corporation that supports their partners by introducing artisan and opportunity employment social enterprise goods to new channels of distribution.
Often, these are channels many of their partner organizations never knew existed or wouldn’t be able to access due to geography and cost barriers. These avenues are categorized into incentive and recognition markets, promotional products markets and retail markets.
From gourmet foods and bath products to handcrafted jewelry and tech accessories, HHP offers one-of-a-kind, top-quality and competitively priced goods produced by social enterprises and fair trade organizations in the U.S. and around the world. All share a common goal: helping people with barriers to employment improve their lives and become self-sufficient through job opportunities.
HHP also recently launched their own social enterprise brand, 1eleven™ by HHP, to provide an additional pathway out of poverty. HHP teams with SEA Member Cara to hire adults from underserved communities in Chicago to make and supervise the production of a luxurious bath and spa line. HHP recently moved to a beautiful new location in East Pilsen that gives them the space to expand their 1eleven Job Creation and Career Development Program with an onsite 1eleven by HHP warehouse. Here, HHP provides job training, development opportunities, caring mentorship and continued support for their associates. It’s more than a job; it’s an opportunity to build a career.
HHP’s mission is to LIFT COMMUNITIES by providing a sustainable livelihood and job opportunities for people with barriers to employment.
Purchases from HHP directly impact the lives of individuals, families and communities across generations. From 2012-2016, HHP purchased $742,261 of goods from their social enterprise partners. In addition to supporting social enterprises through sales, HHP also donates proceeds to help their partner organizations provide fair wages, education, safe working conditions, sanitation, clean water, safe transportation, micro loans, financing, dignity and hope to the communities they serve.
There is a wide variety of organizations in HHP’s partners’ network. These organizations include:
- A bakery in Illinois that services adults with developmental disabilities.
- A clock manufacturing facility in Illinois that provides jobs for blind and visually impaired adults.
- An organization in Chicago that hires homeless and unemployed vets to imprint and sell their t-shirt and coffee lines.
- A collective of over 200 women artisans in Guatemala that provides sustainable livelihoods and nutritious meals and schooling for their kids.
- A fashion house in Cambodia that provides sustainable livelihoods and free preschool and day care for the artisan’s children.
- A jewelry design company in Ecuador and Viet Nam that provides sustainable livelihoods and holistic social programs for the artisans, which include education, disaster relief and interest-free loans.
Shop HHP and 1eleven products in our Holiday Gift Guide! You can also attend their Holiday Market/Open House event at their new space, located at 329 W 18th Street, on November 30th from 4-7 pm.